"I'm out here a thousand miles from my home,
Walking a road other men have gone down,
I'm seeing a world of people and things,
Hear paupers and peasants and princes and kings."

My hope is that this blog will keep people involved in where I've been, what I’m doing, and occasionally, what I’m thinking.

Friday 3 February 2012

A Sad Day




My father once lent me a book called “How Soccer Explains the World: An Unlikely Theory of Globalization.”  In it, the author wrote at length of the intermingling of the sport and politics throughout the world.  Citing Bosnia, Honduras, and many more, he showed how historically the sport and the fans who love it have had their ideals hijacked by ulterior motives.  When I read the recent news from Cairo, I felt sad for the victims, sad for Egypt, and sad for the sport itself.
          Already, the ruling military council in Egypt is being accused of perpetrating the violence by having outside agents infiltrate the home fans, and then inciting a riot against the visitors and the visiting fans.  The most telling quote – coming from a home supporter, someone who saw his own companions and “fans” attack the visitors – to show the presence of an outside and sinister hand at play in the riots: "This was unbelievable... we were supposed to be celebrating, not killing people.  We defeated Al-Ahly, something I saw only twice in my lifetime.  All the people were happy.  Nobody expected this."


No comments:

Post a Comment