"I'm out here a thousand miles from my home,
Walking a road other men have gone down,
I'm seeing a world of people and things,
Hear paupers and peasants and princes and kings."

My hope is that this blog will keep people involved in where I've been, what I’m doing, and occasionally, what I’m thinking.

Tuesday 21 February 2012

My Typical Saturday.

Now that I've been in Singapore for a little while, I've settled into my new place and my new job.  Life here is unlike what I am used to in Canada or what I had gotten used to in Korea.  Singapore has a big, no, a massive city feel to it, with many people going many places at all times.  Obviously, this is different than my hometown, and being the first large city I've lived in, it can feel alienating at times.  It is also very different from Pohang, in Korea.  Although Singapore is a very multipolar city with many different cultures, religions, traditions, and people, it lacks the authentic cultural exchange that Korea offered.  When I lived in Korea, I felt like I was getting a large dose of what it means to be Korean; from food, to tradition, to idioms, to habits, practices, and more.  Singapore's diversity and size mean that the heterogeneous mix of cultures blend into one mosaic, one melting pot, in which you do get exchange, but not in an authenticated form.  Instead, you experience a mix of ideas and feelings and traditions.  Oh, and delicious food.  Definitely the city with the best food I've ever lived in or traveled to.  Authentic Malay, Indian, Chinese, Hainanese, Indonesian, Vietnamese, French, Western...  a food post will come in the future! 


Below is a chronicle of this past Saturday.  See the captions for explanations.




Sunrise in Singapore, 7:15 am, from my apartment's window.


Walking to the bus station, the park near my house.


Still on the way to work...


The new complex where my school is...

The school!


My classroom!


Some incredible pepper crusted duck / mango sauce, given to me by a student's grandmother.   Food is the best.

1 comment:

  1. The pictures are terrific.You have an interesting commute and the new school looks impressive.Did you enjoy the duck?
    Your blogs are most inspiring,so much so that it is time for me to get with the program.Watch out for a grizzly blog from the man of peace-it is long overdue!

    ReplyDelete