"I'm out here a thousand miles from my home,
Walking a road other men have gone down,
I'm seeing a world of people and things,
Hear paupers and peasants and princes and kings."

My hope is that this blog will keep people involved in where I've been, what I’m doing, and occasionally, what I’m thinking.

Wednesday 8 February 2012

Money, Money, Money..


I’ve noticed – that in more than one country and in more than one culture – that generally Asians really enjoy shopping.  See, I would only go to a mall when I really needed to buy something.  But, maybe that’s a reflection of where I grew up, a place that had only one mall that was really worth going to.  Now if I need anything, I just need to take the MRT – subway – to Orchard Road, Singapore’s mega shopping district.  If you are looking to go, just keep an eye out for the docked spaceship on the street corner:

Ion, at Orchard.

Even its backside looks good.

Although it’s quite a show of consumerism, it’s a pretty cool place to go.  If you need to find something commercial in Singapore, it’s a rule of thumb that you can probably find it here.  If you are a suit wearing, power wielding, maniacal businessman, this is where you’ll spend your millions.  Or, if you are a humble teacher, this is where you’ll go to try to buy English books.  Orchard Rd. is home to the only bookstore with a reputable selection, albeit at remarkably high prices.  Now, if anyone wants to send me a parcel of books…
  

No comments:

Post a Comment